Meatloaf is a North American classic for an inexpensive family meal. Since bread is usually used to hold it together, it of course, needs some adjustment to make it low-carb. I use ground flaxmeal for this purpose, adding healthy fats and fibre to the meal. I also use a mixture of ground beef and ground pork to make it a bit juicier and more flavourful as well. And of course, my keto BBQ sauce recipe is used to keep out added sugar. It's great hot, right out of the oven. The leftovers also make for great hot or cold sandwiches.
Keto Bread-Free Meatloaf Recipe
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter or ghee
- ½ cup yellow onion, minced
- ½ cup green or red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground [black pepper](https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0752MX1DH/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=330641&creativeASIN=B0752MX1DH&linkCode=as2&tag=westcoastjiuj-20&linkId=f31055f87f17da63dabf3a2a5849cefb, or to taste
- ¾ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher sea salt, or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1½ lbs lean ground beef
- ½ lb ground pork
- ¾ cup golden flaxmeal
- ¼ cup keto BBQ sauce, plus more for basting and serving
- 3 tablespoons homemade sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg
Preheat the oven to 350F. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, salt, bell pepper, and garlic, and sauté until softened. Stir in the black pepper, cayenne, and cumin, and sauté until fragrant, around 2-3 minutes.
Spoon the vegetable mixture into a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix well with your hands.
Mound the meat in a 9x5" loaf pan. Roast the meat uncovered for 40 minutes. If you find there is a lot of liquid in the loaf pan at this point, you may wish to drain it out before continuing. Raise the oven temperature to 400F, cover, and continue baking another 15-25 minutes, or until the centre registers at least 160F on an instant read thermometer. If you wish, brush with an additional 2–3 tablespoons of barbecue sauce in the last 10 minutes. Serve meat hot or cold.
Did you try this keto bread-free meatloaf out? If so, let me know how it went in the comments, or tag me in any photos you share on Instagram so I can see your creation.