I had a couple of vegan friends over for dinner one night and faced the challenge of making a dinner that was both vegan AND keto. I went with a Mexican theme and this keto vegan Mexican cheese was a hit as a dip and as a condiment for the tacos. Even my meat and cheese loving husband enjoyed it, which was a big win.
Keto Cashew Queso - Vegan Mexican Cheese Recipe
- 1½ cups raw cashews
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt](https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078K9CZDV/ref=aslitl?ie=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=330641&creativeASIN=B078K9CZDV&linkCode=as2&tag=westcoastjiuj-20&linkId=b883dd2d633aada35e14c2d660a6c55a)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or extra virgin olive oil, to help with blending (optional)
Add raw cashews to a food processor and process into a butter, scraping down sides as needed. Add in spices and chipotle pepper and mix until until a spread is formed. You may need to add a little oil to help things blend together. Store in a jar and refrigerate to keep fresh, and use as a dip or spread.
Add very hot water a little at a time and whisk until pourable. Use as a dip, spread, or topper for keto tacos, nachos and salads. Store leftovers in a jar in the fridge to keep fresh.
I could get use to nut cheeses if they all taste this good! Did you give this keto vegan Mexican cashew cheese recipe a try? Whether you’re vegan or not, let me know how it went in the comments. Or if you post pics on Instagram, tag me so I can see your creation. :)