I was looking to use up some cucumber while making a side dish to go with some salmon patties, so I tried whipping up a keto cucumber salad that reminded me a little of dill pickle dip. And so this recipe was born!
Just a quick note: Do NOT skip the step of draining the water out of the cucumber and onion. If you do, it’ll end up more like a soup.
Creamy Dill Cucumber Salad Recipe
- 1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt
- ¼ cup fresh dill, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried dill weed)
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- ¼ cup homemade high-fat yogurt (or sour cream)
- 1 ½ tablespoons white wine vinegar (*white vinegar also works)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- More Himalayan pink sea salt (to taste)
Slice the cucumber and onion into 1/16 inch (1.5 mm) slices; use a mandolin if you have one. Or you can use the ribbon attachment with a spiralizer like I did, giving it a cut every couple of turns.
Place both in a colander, add the salt and toss well. Place in a sink to drain for 1 hour. Gently squeeze out the remaining water with your hands.
Whisk the remaining ingredients together and fold into the cucumbers. Cover and refrigerate for an hour. Add additional salt and pepper to taste. Stir well then serve.
Try pairing this salad with my keto salmon burger patties. It’s the perfect compliment! Or as a side for any salmon dish really.
Did you try making this creamy dill keto cucumber salad? If so, let me know how it went in the comments. And if you share photos of your creation on Instagram, tag me so I can see them. :)