Most versions of the keto-friendly cauliflower Mac and cheese involve bacon or or sausage or a combination of processed meats. It’s nice to have a version that uses a healthier keto protein like salmon with all its omega-3s for a change. The other thing I do differently is use a combination of cauliflower and broccoli to squeeze in some extra greens. I do sometimes find it a bit much when I eat too much cauliflower in one sitting. If you hadn't already noticed, it's not the prettiest dish in the world, but it does taste good.
Salmon Cauliflower Keto Mac and Cheese Recipe
- 3 cups cauliflower, cut into pieces
- 3 cups broccoli, cut into pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (freshly squeezed if available)
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- ⅔ cup sharp white cheddar, grated
- ⅓ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 cans of wild salmon, bones and skin removed (or mashed up really well if you want them for the nutrients)
- ¼ cup green onion, chopped
Put cauliflower in a large microwave safe bowl with a couple of tablespoons of water. Cover and cook on high in the microwave for 6-8 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
While the cauliflower is cooking, heat a large skillet to medium-low heat. Melt butter then add onion, cook for about a minute then add garlic and cook another 30 seconds to 1 minute or until translucent.
Add the almond milk, cream, cheeses, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Stir mixture until the cheese is fully melted and the texture is smooth.
Stir in the salmon and steamed cauliflower and broccoli and mix until fully combined and heated through. Serve topped with green onions. You can, of course, bake it into a casserole dish, but when I’m pressed for time, I won’t bother so that it’s ready faster and with less dishes to clean up afterward.
(*Note: If you prefer to bake your mock and cheese and eat it casserole-style, simply add the cauliflower and broccoli to a 9x13” casserole dish that’s being sprayed with cooking spray. Don’t add the mozzarella cheese out to the main sauce. Pour sauce overtop the. Sprinkle with mozzarella and bake in an oven preheated to 350F for 25-30 minutes. Allow to rest for 7-10 minutes before serving, sprinkles with green onions.)
What’s your favourite keto variation on the Mac and cheese? Please share in the comments. Or if you make this recipe, let me know how it goes. As always, if you post any pics of your creation on Instagram, tag me so I can see your creation. :)