I'm always game to find ways to work beets into a carb-up, so why not throw it into a warm, hydrating, savoury soup to enjoy on a cold, rainy night? You don't even have to pre-cook the beets when you make it in a soup. Everything goes into and out of a single pot, making clean-up a breeze.
Carb-Up Savoury Beet Root Soup Recipe
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken bone broth if not vegetarian)
- 2 cups water
- ¾ teaspoon kosher sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or to taste)
- 3 medium beets, peeled and halved or quartered
- 1 medium baking potato, peeled and halved crosswise (I quartered mine)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons 0% fat Greek yogurt
- Flaky sea salt (like Maldon or Fleur de sel, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
Heat the oil in a dutch oven or large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and kosher sea salt and sauté 3 minutes or until tender.
Add broth, water, pepper, beets, potato and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered 25-30 minutes or until the beets are fork tender. Remove from heat and discard bay leaf.
Allow soup to cool slightly then add to a food processor or blender to process in 3 batches. Warm soup over low heat 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice. Season with flaky sea salt to taste.
Remove ½ cup of the soup and transfer this into a small bowl. Whisk it together with the yogurt.
Ladle the soup into individual bowls and top each serving with a tablespoon of the Greek yogurt mixture. Using the tip of a knife, swirl the yogurt mixture to make a pretty design. Top with more freshly ground black pepper and chopped parsley and serve hot.
Did you try out this carb-up vegan savoury beet root soup recipe? If so, let me know how it went in the comments, or tag me in any photos you share on Instagram so I can see your creation.