Looking for something different and exotic in a cookie? Look no further than these salt and pepper tahini chocolate chip cookies! Yes, you read that right, salt and pepper in a cookie. I know it sounds strange, but it is a flavour combination that really works! And if you want to play a fun game with people with whom you share these cookies, tell them to guess what the "secret ingredient" is. My experience with this is that they can tell that there is something different in them, but simply can't place it. And when you tell them it's black pepper, they can't not taste it.
Keto Salt and Pepper Tahini Chocolate Chunk Cookies Recipe
- 6 tablespoons vanilla whey isolate (*Sub with withvegan vanilla protein powder for vegan.)
- ¼ cup almond flour (or 2½ tablespoons [lupin flour] for nut free.)
- ¼ cup oat fibre (*Use lupin sourdough starter instead if using vegan protein powder or add 2 tablespoons of water.)
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1½ teaspoons [freshly ground [black pepper](https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0752MX1DH/ref=as_li_tl?
- 1 cup drippy tahini
- 5 tablespoons gold erithrytol monk fruit sweetener
- 2 eggs (*Or 2 tablespoons golden flaxmeal soaked in 5 tablespoons water for 5 minutes for vegan.)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2oz unsweetened unsweetened baker’s chocolate, chopped into chunks
- Flaky sea salt (like Maldon or Fleur de sel and freshly ground black pepper, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly grease, or line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients except for the sweetener. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, mix together tahini, gold monk fruit sweetener, vanilla and lupin flour soudough starter (if using) with a hand mixer on low until well combined. Add the eggs in one at a time, and continue to mix.
Pour in half the dry ingredients and stir in with a spatula, then add the rest and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chunks.
Drop around 1½ tablespoons of batter per cookie onto prepared tray and top with a pinch of flaky sea salt. Continue until you have 20 cookies.
Put in oven and bake for 12-14 minutes, until the bottom is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Store in airtight containers at room temperature for up to a week or store in freezer for up to 3 months.
Did you make this keto salt and pepper tahini chocolate chunk cookies recipe? If so, please let me know how it turned out in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy! :)