Looking for a low-carb alternative to a healthy chicken noodle soup to help you get over a cold or flu? This bok choy mushroom "noodle" soup recipe uses Asian enoki mushrooms for the noodles and gives you an immune system boosting super punch with tons of garlic, ginger and onions. You can easily make this vegan by using a veggie broth and tofu for the protein too.
Keto Bok Choy Mushroom "Noodle" Soup Recipe
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 4 green onions, chopped (green and white divided)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
- 5½ cups chicken bone broth (*Or vegetable broth for vegan.)
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-Spice
- 1½ tablespoons tamari soy sauce or coconut aminos
- 1½ teaspoons fish sauce (*Or more tamari for vegan.)
- 10 oz enoki mushrooms
- 6 oz cooked chicken breast, cooked shrimp, or firm tofu
- 1 large egg (*optional, omit for vegan)
- 3 heads bok choy, roughly chopped
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground [black pepper](https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0752MX1DH/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=330641&creativeASIN=B0752MX1DH&linkCode=as2&tag=westcoastjiuj-20&linkId=f31055f87f17da63dabf3a2a5849cefb (to taste)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (to taste)
- Sriracha chili sauce (to taste)
- Sesame seeds, toasted (to taste)
Heat avocado oil medium-sized stockpot over medium heat. Stir in yellow onion and sauté over medium heat for 3-4 minutes, or until they turn translucent and start to soften. Stir in the white part of the green onions, minced garlic, ginger, and Chinese 5-spice, and sauté, for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
Carefully pour bone broth into the pot and bring to a simmer. Add fish sauce and tamari soy sauce. Add the enoki mushrooms and bok choy to the pot and simmer for 5-8 minutes, or enoki mushrooms and bok choy are tender. Season to taste.
Divide soup between two bowls and garnish with sesame seeds, the green parts of green onions, cilantro, and sriracha (if desired).
Did you make this keto bok choy chicken mushroom "noodle" soup recipe? If so, please let me know how it turned out in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy! :)