Sautéed smoked herring is a popular way to serve this fatty fish in the Caribbean. They usually smoke their own fish, of course, but I wanted to capture the essence of the dish, but make it more conveniently, using canned smoked herring instead. This deceptively simple dish packs a lot of flavour, making it a wonderful choice for a nutritious, weekday night meal.
Keto Carribbean Sautéed Smoked Herring Recipe
- Two 92g cans of smoked herring, chopped into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ½ cup red onions, diced
- ½ cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeds removed, diced (*May sub with ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes.)
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced (or ¾ teaspoon dried thyme)
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 green onions (white and green parts), thinly sliced
Add avocado oil to a skillet and heat to medium. Add onions and sauté until translucent, around 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and thyme, hot pepper and continue to sauté until fragrant, around 1 minute. Add chopped herring, tomatoes, hot pepper, and thyme.
Stir in chopped herring and cook until heated through. Stir in chopped tomato, lemon juice and green onions and remove from heat. Serve warm or at room temperature with Caribbean cauliflower rice and beans, keto bread, or in tortillas/wraps.
Did you make this keto caribbean sautéed smoked herring recipe? If so, how did it go? Please share your thoughts in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy! :)