I saw the Patrona burger on a [YouTube video from Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive-ins and Dives featuring a Mexican restaurant called La Tosdaderia in LA's Grand Central Market. The Patrona burger is one of their signature dishes, a beautifully crafted burger made of shrimp fried up with shredded cheese then served on a bun slathered with chipotle mayo and topped with lettuce, tomato, and a house avocado-mango salsa. It looked soooo good that I decided I wanted to make my own keto-friendly version of this masterpiece. Obviously, I had to make a few sound lower-carb subs, but I'm pretty proud of how this turned out. This recipe is scaled to make one single burger, but I highly recommend making it for 2 or more people so you get the most out of the labour required to make it.
Keto Copycat Patrona Shrimp Burger with Avocado Sweet Salsa Recipe
Avocado Sweet Salsa Ingredients:
- ½ small avocado, diced
- 3 tablespoons yellow pepper, diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- 2½ teaspoons raw cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon red onion, finely chopped
- ⅛ tsp peach-mango liquid stevia
Other Burger Ingredients:
- One keto bun or lettuce wrap
- 1 tablespoon chipotle mayo (or just make your own by adding chipotle sauce to mayo)
- 2 tablespoons keto Mexican-style pickled red onions and cabbage
- One slice of fresh tomato
- 2 tablespoons keto rutabaga hash browns
Shrimp Patty Ingredients:
- 4-6 raw shrimp, peeled and de-veined (enough to cover a bun)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup Manchego or oaxaca cheese, grated
- [Flaky sea salt (like Maldon or Fleur de sel and freshly ground freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
First start by making the salsa. Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Stir gently to ensure the cider vinegar and liquid stevia is mixed throughout.
Gather all your burger ingredients and have them ready to go before cooking the shrimp patty. Spread the chipotle mayo on both the insides of your bun or lettuce wrap.
Heat a large non-stick skillet to medium heat. Put the shrimp together on the grill, grouping them in the shape of a patty. Brush with half the butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper then top with half the cheese. Cook until the shrimp starts to change colour, pushing the cheese in if it melts and starts to spread out. Flip then brush with the rest of the butter, sprinkle again with salt and pepper and top with the remaining cheese. Cook until shrimp has fully changed colour and cheese is melted.
Once the shrimp patty is fully cooked, immediately transfer it over to your bun. Top with picked onion and cabbage, tomato slice avocado salsa then sprinkle the top with the rutabaga hash browns. Add the top of the bun and dig in!
Did you try out this keto copycat Patrona shrimp burger recipe? If so, please let me know how it went in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy! :)