As I’ve been eating paté for a while now as a way of getting more organ meat in my diet. I’ve never actually tried cooking anything using organ meat though. But then after trying the freshly made, super creamy paté that we bought at Golden Herban Farm, I decided it was high time that I tried making my own paté, especially after seeing how inexpensive chicken livers are. This is that recipe.
- 15 oz chicken livers (quartered)
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup shallots (or yellow onion), finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 6 large hard-boiled eggs
- 1½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, chopped
- 1½ teaspoons fresh sage leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon bourbon whiskey (*or ½ teaspoon brandy extract)
- Flaky sea salt (like Maldon or Fleur de sel and freshly ground freshly ground black pepper(to taste)
Rinse livers under the faucet and remove any stringy bits hanging off.
Melt butter in skillet over medium-low heat. Add the chopped liver and onion and slowly cook, stirring occasionally, until liver shows only a hint of rosy pink. Add garlic near the end of the sauté and cook until fragrant, around 1-2 minutes.
Add chicken livers, onion, garlic and butter to a blender and purée until it forms a paste. Add remaining ingredients and purée until combined and smooth. Put in the fridge for at least 1 hour before serving. Allowing it to set overnight lets the flavours mingle a bit more. Serve with keto bread, keto crackers, celery or sliced cucumber.
Don’t fear cooking organ meat! It really was no different than cooking regular meat. Did you try this low-carb creamy chicken paté recipe out? If so, let me know how it went in the comments, or tag me in any photos you share on Instagram so I can see your creation. :)