Still working through all the leftover pumpkin in your freezer? Why not pop some into a creamy fall soup with warming spices to delight your soul on a blustery fall day! This low-carb curried cream of pumpkin soup will do the trick. It's easy to make and is a perfect accompaniment for your favourite keto sandwich or salad.
Curried Cream of Pumpkin Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1½ cups pumpkin purée
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ teaspoonpaprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- 1½ cups chicken bone broth (*Swap in vegetable broth to make it vegan.)
- ½ cup heavy cream (*Swap in coconut cream to make it vegan.)
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease (*Swap in coconut oil to make it vegan.)
- Himalayan pink sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup bacon crumbles or fried chorizo crumbles (*Omit or swap for vegan bacon or sausage pieces to make it vegan.)
- ¼ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
Melt the coconut oil in a pan on a medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for 2 minutes or until soft. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté together for 1 more minute.
Turn the heat down to medium-low and stir in the cumin, ginger, garam masala, paprika, salt and pepper until fragrant.
Turn the stove back up to medium heat then add the pumpkin purée and bone broth and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
Blend the soup with an immersion blender until smooth.
Stir in bacon grease (or additional coconut oil) and heavy cream (or coconut cream) and heat through.
Garnish each bowl with 1 tablespoon bacon crumbles (or vegan bacon/sausage), 1 tablespoon pumpkin seeds, 1 tablespoon parsley, and serve.
I feel like there are a lot of different delicious ways you can approach the spicing and garnishes for this soup. What other ones might you try with it? Please share in the comments or if you post your creation on Instagram, tag me so I can see it. :)