The low-fat craze that took the western world by storm over the past 5-6 decades has made it hard to find high fat yogurt in any North American grocery store. Fortunately, I discovered that it really isn’t that hard to make your own, especially if you own an Instant Pot pressure cooker. But even if you don’t, or you have an older Instant Pot model that doesn’t have the yogurt setting (like me), it’s still really easy to make your own, as I’ll share with you here.
High Fat Keto Yogurt Recipe
- Two 1L cartons of half & half cream (You can technically use heavy cream for an even higher fat version, but it’s a lot pricier.)
- 2 tablespoons of yogurt with active bacterial culture
- Pour half & half into a large pot or into your Instant Pot that lacks yogurt setting.
- Gradually heat the milk to 180 degrees Fahrenheit. (I use an instant read thermometer to check the temperature.) Remove from heat. If using an Instant Pot that lacks yogurt setting, use the ‘saute’ setting. Be careful not to let it come to a full boil.
- Cool the milk down to 112 degrees Fahrenheit. You can speed the process by putting the pot into a sink with cold water.
- Pour around 2 cups of the milk into a bowl with the yogurt and whisk together. Pour this mixture back into the main pot then whisk again.
- Wrap the pot in a down blanket or coat and let it sit undisturbed for 8 or more hours. The longer you let it sit, the thicker and tangier it will be. I like to let it sit 14+ hours as I like it pretty thick and tangy.
- Spoon your yogurt into containers and store in the fridge.