In the fall, I'm all about hearty soups, and this Italian sausage, fennel and bean soup really fits the bill. Fennel and sausage is a natural match, not to mention the cabbage, and the beans add fibre and texture to the soup. Make a batch of it on a rainy, blustery day and you won't even mind staying indoors while you sip on this warm, satisfying soup.
Keto Italian Sausage, Fennel and Bean Soup Recipe
- 1 lb spicy Italian sausage, removed from casings (*Use vegan sausage for vegan.)
- 1 cup yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large fennel bulb, coarsely chopped
- 4 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 4 cups chicken bone broth (*Use vegetable broth for vegan.)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 cups lupini beans or black soy beans, (or a combination of the two), drained and rinsed
- One 14 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups purple cabbage, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, thinly sliced
- Kosher sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fennel fronds, chopped (for garnish)
- ¼ cup shaved pecorino Romano or parmesan (*Use vegan parmesan for vegan.) (for garnish)
In a large soup pot, brown the sausage over medium heat. Around halfway through cooking, add the onion, fennel, cabbage and garlic with a sprinkle of kosher sea salt and continue cooking until sausage is crumbled and cooked through, around 7 minutes total.
Add broth, beans, tomatoes (with juices) and stir well to mix. Cover and bring to a boil. Uncover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Stir in sage leaves and remove from heat. Add salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
Did you make this keto Italian sausage, fennel and bean soup recipe? If so, please let me know how it turned out in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy! :)