This keto rainbow chard and Comté frittata makes for a decadent showpiece dish for a brunch. It’s sharp creaminess is perfectly balanced with the stronger taste and texture of the chard giving you a lot to savour as you eat it.
Keto Rainbow Chard and Comté Frittata Recipe
- 3 tablespoons ghee, avocado oil, pork lard (*I like to use bacon fat that I’ve saved.)
- 3 large cloves garlic, cut into paper-thin slices
- 1 pound rainbow chard or a mix of greens, like chard, kale, beet greens, or dandelion greens, coarsely chopped
- Sea salt (to taste)
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, (freshly grated if possible)
- Crushed red pepper flakes (to taste)
- 6 slices smoky bacon, cooked and diced
- 6 large eggs
- 1¼ cups heavy cream
- Freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 8oz Comté cheese, shredded (around 2 cups) (*May substitute with manchego or gruyere if Comte is unavailable.)
- Fresh chives, chopped (for garnish)
Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a 9" pie plate. (*I use a coconut oil spray.). Heat the ghee or oil and garlic in a large, deep skillet over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the garlic starts to soften and barely sizzle. Do not let the garlic brown.
Add a handful of greens, using tongs to stir them around to coat them with the ghee/oil. Cover and let the greens wilt for a few minutes. Add the remaining greens by the handful as those in the skillet begin to wilt. Uncover and add a sprinkle of salt and crushed red pepper flakes to taste. Reduce heat to low or medium-low as needed to prevent them from burning. Cook uncovered around 15 minutes, turning the greens frequently until they are completely tender. (*If using greens without thick stalks instead of chard, it will take less time.)
Once the greens are cooked, add the cooked bacon to the skillet; use tongs to incorporate. Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool for a few minutes.
Whisk together the eggs and cream in a large bowl, then nutmeg and a generous amount of black pepper to taste. Add the cooked greens-bacon mixture and the Comte cheese (reserving 1/2 a cup) and stir to mix well. Gently pour the whole mixture and into pie plate sprayed with cooking spray. Top with remaining cheese and little extra ground black pepper.
Bake for 30 minutes in oven preheated to 375F or until the top is turning golden brown.
Remove from oven allow to cool for 5-10 min. Top with fresh chives and serve hot, cold or at room temperature. (*Personally, I like it best cold or at room temperature as the flavours come out better after it has cooled.)
Did you try this keto rainbow chard and Comté frittata recipe out? If so, let me know how it went in the comments, or tag me in any photos you share on Instagram so I can see your creation. :)