I feel that if you're going to do a carb-up meal, you have to replace the fat with strong, equally appealing flavours and/or textures. This spicy Thai lentil red curry soup uses red curry paste, along with other Thai-inspired flavours to do just that. The kale packs in the nurtritional green veg, while adding colour. The added sweet potato serves to balance out the spiciness, while adding extra nutrition. S
Vegan Carb-Up Spicy Thai Lentil Red Curry Soup
- 4 cups fresh black kale (one small bunch), sliced into thin ribbons
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil
- ¾ cup yellow onion, chopped
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste (*to taste)
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ tablespoon gluten-free tamari soy sauce or coconut aminos (*Or fish sauce if not vegan.)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1" piece of fresh ginger, minced
- 5 cups vegetable broth (*Or chicken bone broth if not vegan.)
- 1½ cups [dry red lentils], rinsed and drained
- 1½ cups sweet potatoes (around 1 small sweet potato), peeled and diced
- ½ cup low-fat canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- Fresh cilantro or Thai basil (for garnish)
- Lime wedges (for garnish)
Start by steaming the kale using a steamer tray for 3 minutes on high in the Instant Pot. As soon as the kale is cooked. Use the quick release method to release the steam then remove the kale and put it under cold running water to stop it from continuing to cook. Set aside, drain the Instant Pot and rinse clean.
Melt coconut oil in Instant Pot set to 'Sauté'. Add onion and sauté until translucent and starting to brown, about 4-5 minutes. Stir in red curry paste, garlic, and ginger and sauté until fragrant, around 1-2 minutes.
Add broth, lentils, and sweet potatoes. Put the lid on the Instant Pot and set to 'Sealing.' Set to high pressure for 10 minutes. Allow to naturally release or use quick release method when finished.
Keeping the Instant Pot set on 'warming', stir in kale and coconut milk. Turn off heat, add lime juice then pour into bowls. Garnish with fresh cilantro, lime wedges and a little extra coconut milk, if desired. Enjoy!
Did you make this vegan carb-up spicy Thai red curry lentil and black kale soup recipe? If so, how did it go? Please share your thoughts in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy! :)