I seen a lot of recipes come up that call for “vegan butter” lately and was intrigued. I’ve seen it at the grocery store, but figured there was a way to make something butter-like to spread on muffins or add to recipes in place of butter. This is the recipe I can up with and I have to say that I like it better than goat butter. This is great because cow's dairy is probably going to be relegated to special occasions having found out that I have a sensitivity to it, and goat butter is crazy expensive. This is the perfect, dairy-free solution that still delivers a buttery taste. Bonus: It's inexpensive and easy to make, and uses healthy oils like coconut and avocado oil as the base, making it a great choice if you're vegan or simply cutting back on dairy due to it's inflammatory effects.
Keto Vegan Butter Recipe
- 1 cup refined coconut oil, melted (*Must be refined or it will taste coconut!)
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- ⅓ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (unsweetened almond milk, cashew milk, etc)
- 1 teaspoon raw cider vinegar
- ⅛ teaspoon butter extract
- 1 teaspoon nutritional yeast
- Small pinch of ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon flaky sea salt (like Maldon or Fleur de sel (*or omit for unsalted butter)
Add melted refined coconut oil to a blender along with the avocado oil. In a separate bowl, stir together raw cider vinegar and unsweetened non-dairy milk and stir in so that it curdles into buttermilk then add it in.
Add butter extract, nutritional yeast, small pinch of turmeric and salt. Blend until smooth. Pour out into a glass container and refrigerate until set. Remove from the fridge to soften for a few minutes before using in your favourite recipes or slathered on pancakes/waffles, keto bread or muffins.
Did you make this keto vegan butter recipe? If so, please let me know how it turned out in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy!