Konjac noodles are so similar to rice noodles, they are a perfect for the base of a Keto pad Thai. That being said, zucchini and daikon noodles are a pretty good veggie swap. Using a stevia-based ketchup and lime juice in place of tamarind paste works pretty well as a low-sugar replacement.
Pad Thai Sauce Ingredients:
- ¼ cup keto-friendly ketchup
- 2 teaspoons golden keto sweetener
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne (or to taste)
*Stir Fry Ingredients:
- 8oz konjac/shirataki noodles(*Optional: Pad out the noodles by adding chard noodles or make with a combination of zucchini and daikon noodles.)
- 2-3 tablespoons avocado oil
- ¼ cup yellow onion , sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 250g protein (thinly sliced chicken/pork, raw shrimp or cubed form tofu)
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 2 eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 ½ cups bean sprouts
- ¼ cup garlic chives or green onions, cut into 3cm pieces
- ¼ cup roasted salted peanuts or cashews, chopped, finely chopped, divided
Prepare the noodles according to the package directions. If desired, make them with chard stem noodles to of them out.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large non stick pan (or well seasoned skillet) over high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 30 seconds.
Add meat (if using) and cook for 1½ minutes until mostly cooked through. If using shrimp and tofu, wait till later.
Push to one side of the pan, pour beaten eggs in on the other side. Scramble using the wooden spoon (add an extra tablespoon oil if pan is too dry), then mix into meat.
Add bean sprouts, tofu, shrimp, noodles the sauce. Toss gently for about 1-2 minutes until sauce is absorbed by the noodles.
Add garlic chives and half the peanuts. Toss through quickly then remove from heat.
Serve immediately, sprinkled with remaining peanuts and lime wedges on the side, with a sprinkle of chilli flakes, cilantro and a handful of extra bean sprouts on the side if desired. Squeeze over lime juice to taste before eating.
Did you make this keto flexible pad thai recipe? If so, please let me know how it turned out in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy! :)