I wanted to get more veggies in my diet when it occurred to me that maybe coconut rice could be made into a pudding similar to real rice. After some experimentation, I realized that it needed something else to balance out the bitterness of the cauliflower, so I combined it with shredded coconut, which complemented the coconut milk I used for the liquid base. The cardamom, pistachios, and rose water give it some of the accents that you expect from Indian rice pudding, and I included dried mulberries instead of raisins to utilize a lower carb dried fruit.
Keto Indian-Style Cauliflower Rice Pudding
- 2 cups cauliflower rice
- ⅔ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1½ cups full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon golden flaxmeal
- 2 tablespoons coconut butter (a.k.a. coconut manna)
- 2 tablespoons Lakanto golden Sweetener (*Or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract (*or use 1 teaspoon rose water, if you prefer a more traditional Indian taste)
- ¾ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon [flaky sea salt (like Maldon or Fleur de sel
- 3 tablespoons dried mulberries (*Try to get black instead of white mulberries is you can as they are slightly lower in sugar.) or goji berries (plus more for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons roasted salted pistachios, chopped
Add riced cauliflower, shredded coconut and coconut milk in a large microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high for 2½ minutes or until cauliflower is lightly steamed.
Transfer cauliflower mixture to a medium saucepan set to medium heat. Stir in coconut butter until melted then stir in flaxmeal, ground cardamom, salt and golden sweetener. Turnheat to medium-high and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes, until it begins to thicken. Remove from heat and and stir in mulberries and pistachios.
Serve warm or cold garnished with more dried mulberries, chopped pistachios and an extra pinch of cardamom. Store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Did you make this vegan keto Indian-style cauliflower rice recipe? If so, please let me know how it turned out in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy! :)