This is my own unique fusion creation that combines the health benefits of congee with quinoa, a more nutritious grain than rice, with the Cajun flavours of a jambalaya, but replacing the fatty sausage with 2 different kinds of beans for more quality carbs. What you get is a perfect blend of nutritious low fat, high carb foods with an array of complex tastes and textures that will make your carb-up meal a joy to eat.
- Cooking spray
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- ¾ cup onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken bone broth
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (fresh if available)
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1¾ cups uncooked quinoa (washed)
- 15 large shrimp, peeled, deveined and cooked
- ¾ cup cooked chicken breast, chopped
- ⅓ cup dry red kidney beans, cooked (*I precook them in the Instant Pot.)
- ⅓ cup dry black beans, cooked (*I precook them in the Instant Pot.)
- 1 cup fresh chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan pink sea salt
Spray Instant pot insides with cooking spray and set to sauté. Sauté the onions and garlic for three minutes, until the onions + garlic turn clear.
Add bone broth, crushed tomatoes, spices (except the salt), herbs, quinoa. peppers and celery. Close the lid and set the top knob to ‘sealing’. Push the ‘congee’ button (or ‘porridge’ if you don’t have one). It will take about an hour to pressurize, cook and de-pressurize.
Open the Instant Pot and stir in shrimp, chicken and beans until heated through.
Serve with fresh chopped parsley, and hot sauce or chili flakes.
I love to experiment with flavours and cooking strategies from different cultures. You can get some really interesting, nutritious dishes with a fusion approach like this. Have you ever tried doing your own fusion recipes? What cool dishes have you come up with? Please share or if you try this recipes let me know how it goes in the comments. Or if you make this Cajun jambalaya quinoa congee recipe and share pics on Instagram, tag me so I can see your creation. :)