If you're looking for a milder style of low-carb chili, give this keto pulled pork chili verde a try! It starts with 3 kinds of roast peppers, tomatillos as the veggie base, combined with Mexican pulled pork, and a whole bushel of cilantro, making it a green dream in chili form. And if you prefer it spicier, simply bump up the jalapeños!
Keto Pulled Pork Chili Verde Recipe
- 3 cups cauliflower florets, steamed
- 1lb cooked pulled pork
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 large Anaheim peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 2 poblano peppers, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
- 2lbs tomatillos
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, chopped to your desired level of heat (*remove seeds if you prefer it less spicy)
- 6 cloves garlic, skins left on
- 1 bushel cilantro, stems removed (*saving some for garnish)
- ¼ teaspoon glucomannan (*May sub xanthum gum, but glucomannan is healthier.)
- 3 cups pork or chicken bone broth
- 1½ tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed
- Zest from one lime
- Flaky sea salt (like Maldon or Fleur de sel and white pepper, to taste
Optional Garnish Ingredients: diced avocado, lime wedges, fresh cilantro, sour cream/creme fraiche, grated Mexican hard cheese (like cotija, manchego or oaxaca)
Set oven to brook with the rack 4-6” from the broiler. Place all the peppers face down on a baking sheet lined with a silicon mar or aluminum foil. Drizzle with half the avocado oil. Put them in the oven and broil until they have charred slightly, around 4-5 minutes. Remove from oven then flip and roast another 3-4 minutes, or until charred on the other side. Remove from oven then put all the peppers in a heat-proof bowl and cover to allow them to steam.
Add all the tomatillos, face down, onions and garlic to the baking tray then drizzle with remaining oil. Put in oven and broil for 6-8 minutes, or until slightly charred, rotating the tray halfway through. Remove from oven.
After cooling slightly, add all the peppers, tomatoes, onions and garlic, along with lime juice and zest, and salt and pepper (to taste). Pulse until puréed.
Add the cauliflower, cumin, and oregano then cool on low for 4 hours. Add pork and chopped cilantro reserving a cup or so for garnish. One hour before serving, take out 1 cup of juice from slow cooker and whisk it with the glucomannan. Add it back to the slow cooker and allow to thicken and add pork and chopped cilantro reserving a cup or so of cilantro for garnish. Cook for about 1 more hour.
Did you make this keto pulled pork chili verde recipe? If so, please let me know how it goes in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy! :)