I’ve made two carb-up versions of halwa, one carrot and one carrot quinoa This is a keto version using pumpkin and coconut, which tastes quite similar, just a little creamier and thanks to the extra fat from the coconut and extra ghee (or vegan butter). The perfect dessert for a low-carb Indian night!
Keto Instant Pot Pumpkin Coconut Halwa Recipe
- 2 tablespoons ghee (*Or vegan butter for dairy-free.)
- 3½ cups pumpkin, cubed to about 1.5”
- ½ cup coconut milk beverage (*or other non-dairy nut milk.)
- ¼ cup gold erithrytol monk fruit sweetener(or to taste)
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut plus more for serving
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- Large pinch fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cashews, almonds or pistachios, chopped and toasted, plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons vanilla-flavoured whey isolate (*Or vegan protein powder for vegan.)
- 2 tablespoons mulberries
- 1 tablespoon ghee (*Or vegan butter for dairy-free.), for finishing
- Unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
Start the Instant Pot in sauté mode. When it displays hot, add ghee to the pot, then add the cubed pumpkin.
Sauté for 2-3 minutes until the smell of raw pumpkin goes away. Add the coconut milk beverage and close the pot with the lid.
Press the manual or pressure-cook button with the pressure valve in sealing position. Cook on high pressure for 5 minutes. Do a quick-pressure release.
Open the pot and set to sauté mode. Mash the pumpkin with a fork or potato masher. Add the sugar and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously.
Add the shredded coconut and cardamom powder and cook for 2-3 minutes more, stirring continuously until the mixture starts to thicken.
Add the cashews, almonds or pistachios, mulberries, and vanilla whey isolate, and cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in the remaining tablespoon of ghee.
Add to serving bowls and garnish with more nuts and toasted coconut (if desired). Serve warm.
Did you make this keto Instant Pot pumpkin coconut halwa recipe? If so, please let me know how it goes in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy! :)