Tired of the same old tuna salad? Mackerel is a far healthier choice, and this tomato mackerel salad recipe is low-carb and steers away from mayo as the base, using tomato paste, olive oil and red wine vinegar that distinguishes it from the usual bases that you see used with tuna or salmon.
Keto Tomato Mackerel Salad Recipe
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- One 15 oz can mackerel fillets, drained, bones removed and broken up into chunks
- 1 roma tomato, chopped
- ½ cup English cucumber, diced
- 2 tablespoons red onion, chopped
- 4 cups romaine lettuce or other leafy greens, chopped
(*Note: Feel free to cut back the greens and make a sandwich with it instead.)
Mix together garlic, tomato paste, red wine vinegar, basil and oil in a small mixing bowl. Break mackerel into small chunks and add to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Stir in fresh tomatoes, cucumber, and onion. Serve mixture over the lettuce leaves or mixed greens or lose the greens and slap it on some keto bread to make it into a kick-ass sandwich.
Did you make this keto tomato mackerel salad recipe? If so, please let me know how it turned out in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy!