After going off dairy, I needed to find a good base vegan keto base recipe for all my ice cream recipe. This one using coconut milk, protein powder and MCT powder as the base, is my favourite. Personally, I don't find it tastes at all coconutty, but if you're super sensitive to coconut, I would opt for my keto cashew vanilla ice cream recipe as another vegan keto ice cream alternative.
Vegan Keto Vanilla or Chocolate Coconut Milk Ice Cream Recipe
- Two 14 oz cans full-fat canned coconut milk
- ¼ cup vegan vanilla protein powder or vanilla whey isolate if not vegan. (For chocolate flavoured ice cream, use chocolate vegan protein powder (Or chocolate whey isolate if not vegan.).)
- ¼ cup MCT oil powderor coconut creamer powder
- ⅓ cup xylitol
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¾ teaspoon glucomannan (*May sub xanthum gum, but glucomannan is healthier.)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (*For chocolate flavoured ice cream use 1 teaspoon only.)
- 2 tablespoons bourbon (for vanilla ice cream) or dark rum (for chocolate ice cream) (*Optional. Helps keep it from freezing too solidly.)
- ¼ cup raw cacao powder (*For chocolate ice cream)
Add all ingredients to a blender (except the shredded coconut), starting with the coconut milk. Blend until smooth then chill in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight. Chill the vessel you'll be storing the ice cream in.
Pour the chilled mixture into the ice cream maker, and churn according to manufacturer’s directions, around 20-30 minutes, or until you reach a soft-serve consistency. Once fully churned in, turn it off and either scoop into chilled bowls and serve, or pour into chilled vessel and put in the freezer for at least 4 hours to get a scoopable consistency. If allowed to freeze longer, you will likely need to take it out of the freezer 10-20 minutes or so before scooping.
Did you make this vegan keto coconut vanilla or ice cream recipe? If so, please let me know how it turned out in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy! :)