Looking for ways to include more cruciferous veggies in your diet? This alternative Caesar salad replaces romaine with broccoli and sliced cabbage for a crunchy textured version of a classic salad. It’s a recipe that keeps on giving since it’s flavours not only hold up for days (unlike the traditional version), they even improve! Hard to not gobble it up all on the first day though.
Keto Broccoli Caesar Salad Recipe
Caesar Dressing Ingredients:
- 1 oil-packed canned anchovy fillet OR ½ teaspoon fish sauce OR ½ teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce(for vegetarian)
- 1 small garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon [avocado oil mayonnaise] (*Use vegan mayo for vegan.)
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tablespoons grated Parmesan, plus more shaved for serving (*Use homemade vegan parmesan cheese for vegan.)
- 1 medium head of broccoli (about ¾ lb.)
- 1 cup cabbage, thinly sliced crosswise (*I used red cabbage for colour, but Napa or green cabbage also work.)
- Freshly cracked freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Lemon zest, to taste (for garnish)
- ¼ cup bacon bits (*Optional. Use for vegan bacon bits vegan.)
Using a mortar and pestle (or tue flat of a chef’s knife, mash anchovies and garlic on a cutting board until a smooth paste forms. Transfer paste to a large bowl and whisk in lemon juice, Dijon, and a large pinch of salt. Add mayonnaise and whisk until smooth. Gradually add olive oil, whisking constantly until emulsified. Whisk in grated Parmesan.
Add broccoli to a large bowl along with the dressing. Add cabbage to bowl with broccoli. Toss until broccoli and cabbage are combined and evenly coated with dressing; season with salt. Put in the fridge and allow to rest for at least 1 hour (*Overnight is best if you have time.)
Top salad with shaved Parmesan, lemon zest, bacon bits (if using), and black pepper (to taste).
Did you make this keto broccoli Caesar salad recipe? If so, please let me know how it turned out in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy!