I decided that this would be a fun thematic concept for a dish for our New Year celebration. Using up leftover frozen pieces of keto bread from unfinished loaves from 2021, I was able to scrape together enough pieces to make a keto French toast casserole. What better way to symbolically say goodbye to 2021 and create space for the bounty of 2022!
Keto French Toast Casserole
- 10 cups keto bread, pork rinds, cut into 1-inch cubes (crusts left on)
- ½ cup pecans, pecans, chopped
- 5 large eggs
- ½ cup heavy cream (*May sub with coconut cream for dairy-free.)
- 1½ cups unsweetened coconut milk beverage (*Or other unsweetened non-dairy milk.)
- 3 tablespoons Lakanto granulated monk fruit sweetener (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest (*optional)
Butter Topping Ingredients:
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, melted (*Use homemade vegan butter for dairy-free.)
- 1 ½ tablespoons gold erithrytol monk fruit sweetener or Swerve Brown
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of fine sea salt
Optional Cream Cheese Drizzle Ingredients:
- 2 oz cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoon unsweetened coconut milk beverage (*Or other unsweetened non-dairy milk.)
- 2 tablespoons Confectioner’s Swerve or other erithrytol-based sweetener powdered, (to taste)
Other Optional Garnish Toppings:
- Confectioner’s Swerve or other erithrytol-based sweetener powdered, (to taste)
- Keto maple syrup
- Keto Chia jam
Preheat the oven to 375F (190C) with oven rack in the center position. Lightly grease a 2-quart (if you want thicker slices) or 3-quart baking dish (if you want thinner slices) with cooking spray or butter. Add enough bread cubes to cover the bottom. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of pecans on top. Continue layering the bread chunks and pecans.
In a 4-cup measuring liquid cup, whisk the eggs together. Add the milk, cream, sweetener, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, salt, and orange zest (if using)and mix well. Pour the egg and milk mixture evenly over all the bread chunks. At this point, the casserole can be baked right away, or covered and refrigerated overnight.
In a 1-cup liquid measuring cup, whisk together the butter topping ingredients. Using a spoon, drizzle the mixture evenly over all the bread chunks. Bake the casserole for 35-45 minutes. Leave the casserole in the oven longer if you want the chunks of bread on the top to be more brown and crunchier.
Remove the casserole from the oven and allow to cool for about 10 minutes. Whisk together the cream cheese drizzle and spoon over the casserole. Dust with Confectioner's Swerve if using. Serve with maple syrup and/or keto chia jam on the table.
Did you make this keto French toast casserole recipe? Please let me know how it turned out in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy! :)