I love a good crab cake but they don't needed to be "breaded" to get that characteristic crispy exterior. This low-carb, keto-friendly mini crab cake recipe uses cheese combined with low-carb flours, which crisps up when fried to achieve this effect. It's perfect for snacking or appies, using either a seafood cocktail sauce or marinara sauce for dipping.
Keto Mini Crab Cakes Recipe
- One 6-oz can lump crab meat
- 1/4 cup homemade avocado mayo
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- ½ teaspoon lemon pepper
- ½ teaspoon Old Bay seasoning or Cajun seasoning
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 tablespoon golden flaxmeal
- 1 tablespoon coconut flour
- ½ cup Gruyère or Comte cheese, finely grated
In a mixing bowl combine all of the ingredients and chill for 10 minutes to allow the mixture to thicken slightly and the flavors time to meld.
Heat a large heavy bottom skillet to medium heat. Add 2-3 tablespoons oil (avocado oil, ghee or coconut oil).
Scoop out 1 tablespoon of the mixture at a time and pat into a ball. Repeat with the remainder of the batter. Place each ball into the hot oil, pressing it gently with a spatula to shape it into a small patty. Repeat the remaining batter balls. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side until browned and crispy.
Did you make this keto mini crab cakes recipe? If so, how did it go? Please share your thoughts in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy! :)