I know that it seems unrealistic to make cream cheese out of tofu, and frankly, it isn't really the same thing. That being said, I find it to hit enough of the same notes that I can use it as a replacement in recipes in which I need to sub with something vegan... or when I just don't have cream cheese in the house, but I do have tofu, and I really don't feel like going out shopping. This keto-friendly tofu cream cheese recipe is an adequate sub for when I need cream cheese in a dip, or spread where it its taste isn't integral to the recipe. I also find it to be a pleasant spread on its own on keto bagels when the mood strikes me too.
Vegan Keto Tofu Cream Cheese Recipe
- One 454g block extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon raw cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 tablespoons MCT oil
- Unsweetened coconut milk beverage(Or any non-dairy milk.) (Or any non-dairy milk) (as needed to blend)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (*Optional. Only add if you want to give it a more savoury taste.)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder (*Optional. Only add if you want to give it a more savoury taste.)
Place tofu, nutritional yeast, miso, coconut oil, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, MCT oil, salt, as well as the onion powder and garlic powder (if using), in a blender or food processor and puree until very smooth, scraping down the sides.
It gets quite thick, so you will need to help it along by pushing it down with a wooden spoon. This can take some time. Taste and add salt as needed. Store in an airtight glass container or jar in the fridge. Spread on keto bagels or keto crackers or use in recipes to replace cream cheese.
Did you make this vegan keto tofu cream cheese recipe? If so, please let me know how it turned out in the comments. Or if you share pics of your creations on Instagram, please tag me so I can see them. Enjoy! :)